Sunday, April 5, 2009

Surgery and Night Shifts

As another weekend has come to a close, all I can think about is that I'm tired. Okay it might be because I'm sitting at work, in the middle of the night waiting for a mechanic to fix the machine I'm working on. He couldn't tell me how long it might take, I think when you get an ETA like that, you should be able to say - I'm going home to sleep, call me when you're ready. It's a bad sign when I'm this tired and it's only midnight. I think the Rockstar will be consumed earlier than usual tonight. I really don't mind back shifts when you're busy. The time flies and you're good and tired for bed. Tonight is not one of those nights. I think I'm done ranting now. I'll update on the rest of our weekend.

Friday was a big day for Dublin - he got fixed! I went into work late that morning so I could drop him off at the vet at 7:30. He was so excited to go to the vet - he gets to meet new people and they have to pay attention to him - his two favorite things. I had to pin him down just to give the tech some chance of getting his name tag around his neck. She asked me if we had done any obedience with him yet, when I said yes and she acted surprised. She should have seen him pre - trainer. Then she might appreciate the significantly calmer dog he was that day. I can't help it that he really loves new people - new people that can't follow the no touching rule because they have to put a name tag on him. He'll get better at it, I know he will.

I went back to pick him up around 3:30. After the tech finally dragged him close enough to the room I was in to see me, he was so excited. I guess he wasn't to keen on the vet after the whole surgery thing. He was bouncing around the room so much, the tech commented that she was sure he would be fine. I responded I was almost positive surgery wouldn't phase him. I got him home, then the real fun started. He was tired so he pretty much slept until Shad came home. Because of the meds, we couldn't feed him until 6 that night, and only a little bit in case he threw it back up. That's his normal dinner time but since he hadn't eaten since the day before - he was hungry. Shad and I have come to dread when he's hungry. We experienced it while we tried to get him on a set eating schedule. He gets cranky and nothing can really calm him down. Since Shad woke him up when he got home, Dublin was suddenly reminded how hungry he was. After letting him out in the backyard and watching him devour every dandelion head he could find, I knew we were in for a terror. By about 5:30 I had had it, he hadn't puked the dandelions up yet so I took that to be a sign he could eat. I gave him 1/4th the amount he normally gets for a meal (doctor's orders!). When he finished he looked up at me like, you've got to be kidding me. About a half hour later to prove his point, he got desperate. He went and picked up his food bowl and brought it to me. When I didn't respond, he took it upstairs to Shad when Shad didn't respond, he sulked for a bit. Since we took away his food dish, he drank all his water and then brought that bowl to me. I finally gave in then, he hadn't thrown up yet and he was so persistent, I gave him another 1/4th amount of food and he finally settled.

Saturday morning I got up and went tutoring. There weren't a lot of kids there because of conference but I still had some unruly children. I blame the weather. I came home and did the laundry, cleaned and went shopping while listening to conference. My sister and her husband were coming up to spend the night so I wanted the house to be some what clean. Dublin was exhausted after spending the morning helping Shad with yard work so he napped the rest of the day.

Kristen and Mitch arrived a few minutes before Shad got home from priesthood. We chatted for a few minutes and I showed them what we've done to the house since they had been up last. We went to dinner at the Bistro and then came home to watch Ocean's Thirteen. Delightful. I only managed to stay up until midnight though - probably one of a few reasons why I'm so tired right now. The next morning we got up and had breakfast and they were off before the first session of conference. I'm so glad they came up. Nothing really compares to a fun night with your sister and our husbands. It makes me wish we lived a bit closer to SLC so we could see them more.

After they left, it was Shad's turn. He was off to the airport to catch his flight to Oklahoma. This just left me with Dublin to worry about all day today. I was a bit nervous how he would be with Shad gone, he tends to search the house if one of us leaves and he's not in his crate. He didn't even look for him. Maybe the luggage was a dead give away. So far he's been good. He napped all day on my lap while I watched conference. I hope this cuddly puppy sticks around even after his incision heals.

He is asleep in this picture - he just has too much loose skin so his eyes droop open. I think he started barking because of a dream not too soon after this. Adorable in a really creepy way.


  1. At least he hasn't ripped the stuffed animal to pieces like Corky would have by now.

    Also, you should select a different energy drink. Rockstar is owned by some people who shouldn't be getting anyone's money.

  2. That is such a cute picture! I just found your blog off Christi's, hope you don't mind! I wish I could have come see your house, I bet it is awesome.