Monday, June 21, 2010

Hail Campy

I don’t really know how else to sum up our ward’s Girl’s Camp except by saying I survived it. That’s all I’m really asked to do, right? The camp started off great. I came up Tuesday night after work to find the girls doing crafts before dinner. They had gotten up to our campsite (one of our leader’s parents backyard – camping on grass is heaven!) set up camp and gone on their hike without any disasters. Fabulous. We made dinner without issue and then settled in around the campfire to do smores. Just as we got the smores out of the bags, it started pouring rain leaving all of us to dash into our tents and go to bed.

Day two started off without a hitch. We got the girls up to make breakfast and then tried to figure out a plan for the day. We were supposed to have the girls go horseback riding and play at the beach at pineview. The initial plan was to split the girls up into two groups and have them rotate from riding and beaching. Because we had a few less horses than we initially thought (okay a lot) and since it was cloudy and a bit cold we knew having the girls go to the lake then horseback ride would be miserable we had to come up with a backup. We ended up keeping most of the girls at camp while the first set went riding. Then dropped off the rest of the girls with the horses and took the first group to the beach. It still was cold and windy outside when we got there and by the time the second group of girls got to the beach, it was downright miserable to back to camp we went.

We had a bit more free time to bum around camp then we started dinner to get the girls fed before our speaker for the evening, Elder Marlin Jensen came to talk to us. As usual the plan didn’t exactly happen that way so we had to delay our speaker for about an hour. By that time it was raining a bit and windy so our wonderful hosts allowed us to sit in the living room to hear our speaker. After that we went back out to have our testimony meeting. It was wonderful up until the end. The second after our last leader sat down, it started hailing like you have never seen it hail before. Most of us ran for the house or our tents. I ran for our tent but unfortunately the leader before me managed to jam the zipper while trying to get into the door. She ran around to the other side to get in but me knowing that it was stuck open 3 feet and since I was the one that would get to sleep next to the puddle, I opted to untangle it and get in the tent the shut it properly. Once all of the leaders returned to our tent, there was about 2 inches of hail up against all of our tents (including the girls’ tents). Luckily our tent was build like a tank, or so we thought until I stepped on my sleeping pad to find it was soaking. A quick look around our tent with flashlights revealed several drips from above and a bunch of puddles all over our stuff.

Once again our hosts were so kind and let the girls and some of our leaders sleep inside on the floor. I opted to sleep in my car which wasn’t so bad once I got warmed up again and somewhat dry. The next morning I got up and hoped the other leaders would agree to just taking down camp and going home (yes that meant no breakfast but seriously I just wanted a warm shower). They were okay with that plan until they realized all the food would go to waste. Somehow breakfast was made and taking down camp took a good hour and a half longer than it should have. I finally made it home by 11 Thursday and I don’t think a shower has ever felt so good. Oh Girls Camp why are you always so terrible? Why? I used to think I hated camping until I experienced it outside of Girls Camp.

On to other news, Thursday afternoon Jen came over and we made hopefully our last coworker goodbye cake for the next while. We made Patrick a chocolate/yellow marble cake with chocolate ganosh in the middle and chocolate buttercream outside. Delicious.

Saturday I went down and practiced with Jake in preparation for the Arts Festival this week. So anyone looking for a fabulous date night on Friday come see Jake and I play at the Utah Arts Festival at 5:00. Seriously you won’t be disappointed. Even the trib suggested we are one of the bands you should try and see at the festival and they have to report the truth, they’re a newspaper.

Then Saturday night Jen had a little get together at her house to give her tether ball pole a party before she removes it. I’ll miss that tether ball pole.

Also Saturday night my parents and brother came up for dinner to celebrate Father’s Day. It was really nice of them to come up to us instead of us going down to SLC.

Yesterday was a pretty relaxed day, we just bummed around the house and watched movies. Ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment