Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sundance

I guess an update on this thing is long overdue. Since I left off with band info in the last post, I'll start with band info. I like it when things come full circle.

Jake and I have been pretty busy this January so far. A few months ago we were asked to play a new festival some locals were trying to put together in Park City, UT the week before Sundance. It sounded like a great opportunity to play for a very different bunch of people that might appreciate our unique sound. We were super stoked, we even practiced...twice. Which is a lot for us and a really good thing since at out first practice, we both couldn't remember how to play our newest songs.

The only downside of the festival was the time our first show was at. 11:45 PM on a Thursday night. It worked out okay for me, I was able to get coverage the Friday night after it so being out until 2 the night before was no issue. On the plus side, Thursday was the opening night so most of the festival artists were up in Park City for the opening ceremonies. In addition to the late hour, our venue was geographically undesirable, on the bottom section of Main Street that was closed for some reason. Needless to say, those that were actually in the bar (which was playing hard rock music before we started) weren't exactly interested in our sound. The sound guys liked us so that was a positive.

The worst news of the night was the notice that our second festival show on Monday night was to be rescheduled. Monday morning we found out instead of the 7:00 PM start time, we were given a 10:30 PM start time. After much band debate, Jake and I decided it was still a good opportunity to get our sound out to new people. There ended up being a bunch of people there for the band that was playing after us and some of them legitimately liked our sound.

I guess the best news out of the Orion Music Festival for us came yesterday. One of the Orion organizers asked us to play Sundance tonight. SUNDANCE! I'm trying not to get excited about it but I'm pretty stoked. We are even playing before my bedtime (5:15) at a different (read: not Siberia) venue. I'm really glad we didn't opt to burn bridges there.

On the home front things have been pretty quiet. A few weeks ago we were invited to a game night with some of the other young couples in our ward. We had a total blast with the other couples. It was funny when we realized 80% of the people there were engineers (I was the only wife engineer). Apparently our neighborhood attracts them. I'm not sure why, maybe it's symmetrical? Type A personalities like symmetry, right?

We also had our wood floors refinished this month. It looks so good. We didn't do the whole sanding move out our your house for a week process, we opted for the process that screens off the finish and puts a new shiny one on (it's called enhance through the Home Depot if you're interested). This seemed to be the best option for us. It doesn't get rid of the scratches in the wood but since the 80 pound pit bull isn't moving out anytime soon, there really no point in spending the time and money to remove the current scratches. Since the finish needed 7 days to cure (we could walk on it the night they did it with socks), Dublin went to the kennel for the week. When I dropped him off, he was so excited there were so many new people. He broke the paper tag they put around their necks 3 times before the lady went and got a stronger on. When I picked him up, all the receptionist would say is that he is adorable and very energetic. I believe it.

Dublin also decided this weekend that his bones go on the ottoman where our things go. While we were watching TV on Sunday, he picked up his bone from his bed and dropped it on the ottoman and walked away. He's done it a few more times since then. Every time I've made him pick it back up and put it on the floor. I can just imagine how frustrated he's getting with me. I'm sure he's thinking we put things up there all the time, why can't he?

1 comment:

  1. SUNDANCE!!!! That is so cool! I hope you have some great stories to tell and a couple pictures to share when you get back!

    ReplyDelete